My Pochero Recipe


Pochero is one of the most popular and favorite stew of many Filipinos. There are actually three variations of the Pochero Recipe: the pork, the beef, and the chicken pochero recipe. They are mostly prepared and cooked the same way and use the same ingredients too, but to make things simple I will be sharing with you more about my Chicken Pochero Recipe.

The first time I tried cooking Chicken Pochero way back in High School was a memorable and learning experience. It was at my third try that I actually learned that my Pochero was missing something. My first Pochero Recipe consisted of just three simple ingredients: the chicken, bokchoy(pechay), and plantain banana(saba). The taste was good but not good enough for me. After several experimentations, I discovered a secret ingredient that made my Chicken Pochero very delicious.

Here is my Chicken Pochero Recipe. Try it and see for yourself!

pochero-recipe

Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs chicken cut into pieces (thigh part)
  • 1/2 piece cabbage, quartered
  • bunch of bokchoy (pechay)
  • 1 medium sized potato, cubed
  • 2 large plantain(saba) banana
  • 1 large tomato, diced
  • 1 medium sized onion, diced
  • 2 tbsp whole pepper corn
  • 2 tbsp fish sauce
  • 1 tsp garlic
  • 1 small can tomato sauce
  • 1 cup garbanzos

Cooking Procedure:
  • Heat oil and fry the banana until color turns golden brown. Set aside when done.
  • Sauté the garlic, onion, and tomato
  • Add the Chicken and cook for 3-5 minutes
  • Add the fish sauce, tomato sauce, and whole pepper corn and mix well
  • Add the water and simmer until chicken is tender
  • Put-in the fried banana, potato, and garbanzos and simmer for 7 minutes
  • Add the cabbage and simmer for 5 minutes
  • Add the bok choy and turn off the heat. Cover the pot for 5 minutes to cook the bokchoy

Hot Tip:
  • Instead of regular potatoes, use sweet potato. (This is my secret ingredient)
  • Try adding long green beans together with the cabbage.



Do you have some cooking tips or recipes to share? We love to hear from you!

5 comments:

  1. You don't have water in your ingredient list...so, how much water pls? Oh we love your afritada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie! Thanks for trying out the Afritada. I would suggest a ratio of 1:3.. one part tomato sauce equals to three parts water. Let's say you have 1 cup tomato sauce, then you need 3 cups water :)

      Delete
  2. I appreciate your kind reply! Pls bear w/ me...should I simmer covered on low (med/med-lo?) & for how long, give or take? I'm not yet a very experienced cook & I always get anxious when simmering. If u leave the pan uncovered, you might end up w/ either very dry or even burnt food; on the hand, if covered, you might be left w/ too much liquid in the pan.
    I, usually, compromise & cover w/ a light lid (so I can peek in once in a while) & leave a little bit of opening on the side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're doing it right Connie! Once your meat is tender then its done. Tender means being able to chew it comfortably :) Chow!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...