My Dinuguan Recipe consists of pig's blood, pig's meat and intestines. There is a variant to this which uses chicken's blood and intestines instead of pork. In some parts of the Philippines, they even say that chicken dinuguan is more delicious than pork dinuguan. For me, both variants are very savory and delicious but my personal choice for my Dinuguan Recipe would be pork.
Dinuguan is a Filipino stew of pig's blood generally, and is a household favorite of Filipinos. The name "dinuguan" comes from the Filipino word "dugo" which means blood.
Here is a simple dinuguan recipe that I recommend. Enjoy cooking!
- 1/2 kilo pork meat & pork belly (diced)
- 1/4 kilo pork liver (diced)
- 1/4 kilo pork intestines
- 1 small head of garlic (minced)
- 1 small/medium onion (minced)
- 1 thumb-sized ginger, minced
- 3 pieces laurel leaves
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 cup vinegar or 1 pouch sinigang mix good for 1 kilo
- 3 tablespoons patis (fish sauce) or 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cups pig's blood
- 4 long green peppers
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Store pig's blood in the fridge until needed.
- Sauté garlic, ginger, onion in hot oil in a sauce pan or pot.
- Add the meat & pork belly, liver & intestines, laurel leaves and sauté for another 3-5 minutes
- Pour in water just enough to cover the meat. Bring to a boil and simmer until pork meat is tender.
- Add in more water if it dries up before the pork is cooked or tender.
- Add the vinegar or sinigang mix
- Add the patis or fish sauce, salt, green peppers and simmer for another 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, take the pig's blood out of the fridge and put in a clean bowl and mash out or squeeze with your hands the jelly-like blood you see.
- Pour the mashed blood into the pot then bring to a boil.
- Simmer in medium heat for about 5 minutes while stirring.
- Season with sugar, salt, black pepper to taste.
- For a rich, thick, and saucy dinuguan, make sure that the pig's blood is pure. No water added.
Have you tried this recipe? Give us a feedback in the comments section below.