This Beef Caldereta Recipe that I'm sharing with you was my Grandpa's. He was an expert cook just like my Grandma. They all had their own unique cooking styles and specialties. Grandpa's specialty was the ever-popular Beef Caldereta. I guess I can say that no one in the house does it better than the "Old Man". My Grandpa's Beef Caldereta Recipe wasn't different at all with other Beef Calderetas except for one thing. His Beef Caldereta had one secret ingredient- San Miguel Beer. Yeah, you got it right. He puts a little beer when cooking Beef Caldereta!
Here is my Grandpa's Beef Caldereta Recipe. Enjoy!
- 1 kilo beef, cut into chunks
- 1 big can (350g) liver spread
- 5 onions, minced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3 green peppers, diced
- 3 red peppers, diced
- 4 pieces hot chilli peppers, minced
- 3/4 cup grated cheese
- 2 cups beef stock or water
- 1/4 cup cooking or olive oil
- In a stock pot or sauce pan, sauté: garlic and onions in oil. Then add tomatoes, red & green pepper and chilli peppers.
- Add in the beef, tomato sauce, liver spread and water or beef stock. Let simmer for at least 1 hour or until the beef is tender. Salt to taste.
- Add the cheese and olives (optional) and continue to simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Goat's meat can also be used to make caldereta. Just be sure to marinate the goat's meat in vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper for at least 15-20 minutes.
- For a very flavorful and delicious kalderetang baka, use beef stock instead of water.
- Add one bottle of San Miguel Beer Pale Pilsen together with the beef and simmer until beef is tender.